Discription


The Petty Home, a turn-of-the-century Queen Anne, is being fully restored by Miles Honeycutt. Miles is the same general contracter who oversaw restoration of the Clapp-Ferguson home and Winston's Broken House, both in the Cleveland-Holloway neighborhood. Miles is restoring the home in keeping with historic elements of the original house to a single family dwelling. Check back often and watch this great home come back to life.


Saturday, April 2, 2011

Tile

Both bathrooms will have some sort of mosaic tile flooring. As with anything related to building a house, there are about a million choices and options for tile. 90% of the minutiae can quickly be thrown out as horrible garbage, but once you get down to the 10% that are actual possibilities, there are still tons of choices. With tiles this is certainly true. Below are some that we like and we hope to make a decisions soon. All these samples are from Best Tile but once you start looking online, the options are limitless.

I am partial to this basket weave, but it's really hard to imagine what a whole bathroom floor will look like just from looking at a sample. Luckily some of the other houses that Ken and Miles have worked on have these tiles in their bathrooms. I know I like the look, but the options are endless.

Fresh to death with white on white?

Nellie favors these little hex tiles with possibly throwing in some colored or black tiles as an accent. A little flower pattern? A splash guard around the base of the walls in black?

Black and white hex or octagon with diamonds? I'm not asking these questions for my health people! If you have an opinion we'd love to hear what you have to say in the comments below. Post links to pictures you like or just let us know what you think about the decisions we're making. Input is always good!

Even down to the littlest details there are decisions to be made. "Do you know that color grout you want?" is not a question most people are ready for, but that doesn't mean you don't have to come up with an answer. This is just a small sample of colors you can get for grout with "frost" being the most popular according to our tile associate. Sigh.

Tomorrow we're off to Ikea to look at potential everything - vanities, lights, fixtures, etc. At least there are some Swedish meatballs in my future.

4 comments:

  1. I don't have mad expertise in tile or links/pics for you. But the white on white basketweave is killer. And I love hex tiles, anyway you slice it. Good luck making all these decisions! You guys have excellent taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the black and white octagon with diamonds tiles in our bathroom at home and in my condo in CH. Both bathroom floors are impossible to keep clean (they seem to be a magnet for pet hair), but the floor in my condo looks less nasty because the grout is black. Our "white" grout at home looks forever nasty. I highly recommend a darker grout! I love the smaller tiles and if I could do our bathrooms over would definitely go for something like the basket weave or hex pictured above. I would even do our tile on a smaller scale (e.g. 2 inch). Good luck with all of this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting points Meg... Jessie and I will have to remember to use dark grout when we do our bathroom.

    and btw, I think I like the basket weave when it's all white, I think the B&W is too much contrast for me. So I like the all white hex the most too.

    Just my two cents, which with inflation being what it is...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks kids! I think we're going black and white basket weave in the hall bath. White on white basket weave in the master bath around the vanity and black and white basket weave in the master shower. Dark grout for all!

    ReplyDelete